This is the basic recipe for keerai poriyal. I have prepared it with drumstick leaves. You can substitute it with any other greens. This is an easy recipe and can be put together in 5 minutes if you have your greens ready. Greens are very nutritious and it is a must to add one type a day. Use different varieties for each day so that you get all the nutrition from the greens. The greens I would recommend for this recipe are ponnanganni (water amarnath), palak(spinach), arai keerai, sirukeerai etc.
Any keerai/ Greens-3cups
Green Chilly-1 or 2
Grated Fresh Coconut-2-3tbs
1. Prepare the keerai and wash it. If they are larger leaves then chop it into small pieces.
2. Heat oil and add mustard urad dhal mixture. When it crackles, add onions and finely chopped green chillies.
3. Saute until golden.
4. Add the keerai, salt and sprinkle some water on top.
5. Switch flame to low, cover the pan and cook until the keerai dries.
6. Don't add lots of water because, keerai tends to leave water when added salt.
7. Switch off flame and add the coconut.
8. Give it a nice stir and transfer to a serving dish.
P.S: Add coconut after switching off the flame. This will keep the coconut fresh. As per my Yoga Teacher's advice, coconut when cooked gives lots of calories while fresh coconut is low in calorie level.